Sunday, October 6, 2013

I am an Artist


Don’t misunderstand now…I cannot draw.  At all. 
I recently told my mother that I would like to design a fabric line (someday – total pipe dream).  She told me that I would need to learn to draw.  I explained that I have been trying to learn to draw for the past 28 years.  I think its time to move on. 
I am an artist because I create.  I am not sure were it all really started.  My mom tried to teach me to sew when I was little.  It was a no go.  I made a few things, but I just wasn’t interested.  Then when I was 13 years old I began scrapbooking.  I was kinda awful at first, though I thought it was great.  Haha.  I don’t think I’m so bad anymore…though I can always improve.  



I learned to knit my first year in college and then to crochet my first year in graduate school.
Then in the spring of 2011while perusing the (new to me) world of blogs, I discovered quilting.  The quilts were so beautiful and different.  Not your grandma’s quilts.  These were bright and colorful.  I fell in love.  It wasn’t a stretch for me to decide I was gonna learn to do that.  I finished my first quilt in the fall of 2011 and haven’t really stopped since.  Though I am pretty slow at the sewing, ironing, and sewing some more. 



I may create by copying something from someone else:
       

                                                Oh, Fransson!

Or sometimes I try making things myself:


but even though I’m not an artist like most people would consider,  I am learning that, well, that’s what I am.  And I should be proud of that…I might even start to call myself a quilter instead of a beginning quilter (someday). 

Bet you are an artist too!

xxxooo
- Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment