Tuesday, February 25, 2014

English Paper Piecing - a small project

I got two great English Paper Piecing books for my birthday back in September: Quilting on the Go and Hexi-Go-Go.  I quickly found that Quilting on the Go was a better book for beginners, as it gave the low-down on how to begin a project - template sizes, how to cut your fabric, eep basting, and the how-tos on joining your pieces.  Whereas in Hexi-Go-Go, the projects were a bit cuter. 

So I wanted to try something out - just a test with scraps to see if I could, how hard it was, etc.  It was easy.  Different steps than I was used to, but not difficult.  So I decided to make my tester piece into something.  A pillow cover for my mother.  Super small, to fit her 9x13 pillow that she uses in her chair to prop her head up.  My scraps matched her quilt after-all. 

I thought there might be a chance that I would be able to give it to her for Christmas...that was stupid. 
Then, I decided her birthday was far enough away to allow me time to finish it up.  Whoever thought that February was far a way from Christmas was a dummy (oh, right...that would be me).
All of the sudden it was two days before her birthday and I had not finished sewing all of the hexagons! 

I added at least one row that was not needed (upper left corner).  But it was really fun to see it grow.  I started out with the green flower in the middle, and decided to continue out from there.

Back view

I have been told that my stitches are tiny (or at least smaller than some of my other guild members would have sewn them).  I tried to take a couple pictures of that, but they are a bit blurry.

You will also notice that the center hexagons got cut in an actual hexagon shape, but with 1/4 inch to fold.  I learned from Quilting on the Go that I could use a square - way easier to cut. 

My hexagons were 3/4 in.  I chose that tiny size because I have a Creative Memories hexagon punch and that was the biggest size.  Easy enough.  I'm not sure I will ever go that small for a larger project, but for this it was fine.
*To make the 3/4 in hexagons I cut 2in squares*

Of course I didn't know how to quilt it...I wanted to do something complicated, where I arched around each side - but I have never done anything like that before and I was on a deadline (who am I kidding - I was almost a week past the deadline.   So I went with little loops.

I made an envelope back - easy removal for washing - used that trusty green, of which I never seem to be out.

My momma says she likes it. So woohoo for tiny gifts that took lots of time!

I have already begun a new EEP project.  Only this time it won't be small and I won't give myself any deadlines to miss. 

If you got this far...thanks for reading my EEP novel. ;)

XOXO - Katelyn

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Quilt of Valor Blocks

I have yet another WIP to share...
It seems like I am only sharing works in progress lately, but maybe I'll actually finish something next week. 

I digress. 
I am a member of the Memphis Area Modern Quilt Guild.  I love being able to meet and hang out with  modern quilters once a month. 
Last month we decided to make a Quilt of Valor Quilt together.  One quilt, for now - we didn't want to overwhelm ourselves. 
I am leading this particular effort - meaning I looked up the details.  Lol.

Kelly, from My Quilt Infatuation, came up with the fabulous idea of a sampler quilt. That way we can each make three 12in (finished) blocks and end up with enough for a nice sized quilt once put together. 
We are each making different blocks - whatever we choose, in any red, blue, white, gray - as long as we make different ones and they have patriotic colors.  We are going to use Kona White as a sashing to separate the blocks (the reason we could use what ever fabrics we wanted). 

We are a super small guild, only 7 due paying members right now - though we would love it if anyone wants to join us! 

The three blocks aren't "due" until our April meeting - giving three months to choose and make the blocks.  However, I finished mine last week. 

my three blocks

I used Amy Newbold's, of Sukie Don't Ya Know, Origami Star tutorial.  Only I did my own math and made it 12in.  So there are a few measurements I would change...but I'll do that for another project.  ;)

Then I choose a Flying Dutchman block.  I love the multiple flying geese.  If I do this block again I think I will make it scrappy.  That would be a bit more fun. 

Then, for my last block I used the Double Z block from the new (and totally fabulous) quilting book - Vintage Quilt Revival, by Katie Clark Blakesley, Lee Heinrich, and Faith Jones. 

I can't wait to see everyone else's blocks.  I am excited to see how the quilt comes together with different fabrics and looks.

Have a fabulous Wednesday!