I posted a bit ago (read= months ago) about starting a space invaders quilt for my nephew (link to that post here). I have worked on several things in between then and now. But still it seemed like it was taking me forever to finish this quilt. I finished sewing the binding on the day after Christmas (I wasn't giving it away until the 29th of December so I was ahead of the game...I guess).
I put a quilt label on ...Did a really sloppy job of it too. I wanted to give a hand quilted look to the edges...with purple thread (Because I am the horrible Aunt who forgot that my nephew's favorite color is purple and didn't put any on his quilt). I will do better next time is all I can say. I couldn't figure out how to end the stitch after I had gone all the way around with it...any suggestions?
This quilt was quilted with an all-over free motion stitch. I tried to make the quilting be squared and boxy.
|Up close of the quilting - after wash|
That being said, the
But I think that the back may be even better than the front. At least it seemed to take longer...and might be my favorite.
It was constructed using 1.5 in finished squares and a 6in finished border around the "explosion."
I wish that I had thought to take more close up pictures of the space invaders and the different prints mixed in with the solids...I might have to do a separate post on that next time I get to visit my nephew. He would have fun helping me take the photos.
In all the anxiety and frustration with little pieces...I enjoyed making every bit of this quilt. It may be the neatest thing I will ever make. Thanks to Elizabeth Hartman for her never ending genius and inspiration! And I am excited to say that my nephew seems to love it.
*This was my 4th quilt finish of 2013*
I'm off to study now...boo.