Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Granny Squares!

I'm a bit behind the times...Oh well.  I have been wanting to make one of these quilts for a while.  When they came out I saw so many that were just stunning.  But I had (and still have) a giant list of quilts I wanted to it just sat there, on my list.  But my mother told me that a quilt needed to be made, a quilt for a very special person in my life...and she was right.  I knew the granny square quilt was the way to go.

I decided to use the tutorial by Blue Elephant Stitches on Moda Bake Shop.  It calls for a jelly roll.  I didn't want to use a jelly roll, so I purchased some yardage and cut that into my 2.5 x WOF strips.

 Then I sewed them all together...

And dredded ironing the seams... But then they were in pretty rows.

So I cut them, sewed a bit more, and now they are granny squares!

Twelve more to go... then I will trim them.

Here are a few direct links to some of my favorites from Blogland:

Quilt Story

A Quilt is Nice

Blue Elephant Stitches

Needles, Pins and Baking Tins

Have you made one yet? 

 - Katelyn


  1. Yes, I have made one. It is on my daughter's bed and it is just so nice to look at, so I'm going to make another one for my niece. There is a reason they are so popular - they just look so good, and your one is looking lovely too.

  2. Love these...they are totally on my giant list of projects to do!!!

  3. They look great. I live the fabrics you've chosen.

  4. Beautiful and thanks for the link.....I have not come across this one in the Moda Bake Shop before.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

  5. I haven't yet but want to! Yours is looking great!

  6. I like this pattern a lot, too -- looking good!

  7. Your granny blocks look so pretty, Katelyn! Yes, I did make a baby granny. Thanks so much for sharing your favourites!

  8. Just lovely ! They look great.

    I made three of them into a table runner last year ( loved the block but didn't want to make an entire quilt at that time) and I still love it! :)

  9. So pretty! Also on my to do list!

  10. Lovely! I am planning to try some granny squares soon too!