Friday, December 6, 2013

Holidays are here again....

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!  I mean the trees are up... yes trees (there are two minis, one 4ft, and one 9ft).  They all have lights, and no ornaments.  opps.  I'll get to it.  promise.
I have many WIP still...and all of them have to be done by Christmas.  I see all of these people on Instagram excited to begin their Christmas sewing and I feel so slow.  I've been working on mine forever.  lol.
Last year I literally worked until my family walked in the door.  I did, however, get the stockings completed for my sister's children.

And the year before that I didn't finish my mother's quilt until February...
This year I have goals.  Grand plans.  I have two completed quilt tops (to be blogged later), one one more top to finish, then I need to quilt all three.  Though...I only have the backing for the one I'm not done with yet.  Curse JoAnn's and them putting their fabric on horrible sale when I have a way better coupon.  I have four stockings down, two more to go.  Then I have some fun scarves to make for holiday gifts.

But I did finish one of my projects and gave it away already.  I am a member of the Memphis Area Modern Quilt Guild and we had a meeting (and holiday swap) last weekend.  I made a Christmas themed mug rug:


 
*Please ignore the mess...I should have cleaned.  but I am trying to create instead. ;)

I wanted to make it reversible and practice my FMQ at the same time.  I love it.  The mustache tree was SO MUCH FUN!  I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut out the different sized mustaches and star from my fabric (backed first in the silhouette sewable interfacing).  Then I appliqued them on using a zig-zag stitch. 
I want to make something else using that technique now... what, I don't know. 

Then at the swap (dirty santa style - there was stealing) I ended up with this beauty:

Jenny made it - those tiny Postage stamp sized greens really make the pillow extra fabulous!!

Sorry the pictures aren't so lovely.  It is rainy/icy and pretty gloomy here.  But that just means more time for sewing, right?

Well, after next week's final...Dum, dum, dum.

Have yall finished your Christmas decorating, making, and gift giving?

XOXOX- Katelyn

3 comments:

  1. I love both of these!! I'm so sad I missed the Christmas fun at the meeting last weekend. We were on our way back in town. I am finished with my Christmas sewing, although that is partly because I decided to eliminate one pillow from the list, ha!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your mod stockings! And the moustache tree is sooo cute!
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete